No matter your answer… if you’re interested in learning how to create a more exciting, and fulfilling, work environment while also understanding how lean thinking and a joyful workplace actually work hand in hand you’re definitely going to want to give today’s episode a listen.
In this episode, I’m joined by Richard Sheridan, the CEO and Chief Storyteller at Menlo Innovations.
Menlo is a software design and development company in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Last year, 2,197 people came from around the world to visit Menlo. They made the trek not to learn about technology, but to witness a radically different approach to workplace culture — one intentionally designed to produce joy.
During this interview Richard and I discuss how he, and the entire Menlo team, makes this happen!
To listen the podcast simply press press play and listen to it while you work… or download this episode onto your smart phone (iPhone users click here to install the Podcast app) and listen while you work out or on your commute to/from work.
You can also read the full written transcript at the bottom of this page.
Again, to hear the podcast just press the “Play” button at the top of this post. An MP3 version is also available for download here.
In this episode you’ll learn
- What “high tech anthropology” is all about
- Richard’s favorite quotation… think how to create a sustainable culture
- Why lean is actually about people and not spreadsheets
- What the book Joy, Inc. is about and how its goal is to end human suffering
- Why Menlo Innovations offers more than one tour per day
- Why the title of the book ends in “Inc.”
- Why Menlo programmers work in pairs and switch pairs every 5 business days
- How the Menlo culture developed as a result of Richard’s experience and background
- One practical piece of advice Richard has for any leader of people who wants to have a more joyful workplace
- What was holding Richard back from being successful when he first started his professional career
- The best advice Richard has ever received
- One of Richard’s personal productivity habits including how he keeps his inbox under 10 emails
- How Richard would approach his first week on the job at a distressed company void of any joy
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Full Written Transcript in PDF Format
- Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
- Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love – Kindle Version
- The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
- Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting out of the Box
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
- Getting Naked: A Business Fable About Shedding The Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
- Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams
- Randy Pausch – Time Management Video
- Simon Sinek – Start with Why Video
- Richard Sheridan on Twitter
- Menlo Innovations Website
Please Subscribe to this Podcast
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to the LSS Academy podcast on iTunes.
You can also subscribe via Stitcher which is similar to iTunes and is definitely Android friendly.
Please Leave Us a Review
We’d also be honored if you’d leave us an honest review in iTunes. This will really help the show grow and reach more people with the good news that is lean and six sigma!
To leave a review please follow these steps:
- Click this link
- Click the blue button that says “View in iTunes“
- Log into your iTunes account as needed
- Click “Ratings and Reviews” which you’ll find in gray text towards the top of the page
- Click “Write a Review” button
- It may take up to 24 hours for your review to appear.
Full Written Transcript
What Do You Think?
What did you think of this episode? Do you hope to create a more joyful workplace? Also, do you agree that there is a correlation between lean thinking and joy?